Reardon, Joyce, & Akerson, PC
Worcester Personal Injury Attorney
Austin M. Joyce has trial experience with Reardon, Joyce & Akerson, P.C. in federal and state trial courts involving civil and criminal matters with appellate experience in federal and state courts. Austin is a litigation attorney with emphasis on personal injury, police misconduct and discrimination cases. Before joining Reardon, Joyce & Akerson P.C., Austin gained experience with various aspects of probate, criminal law, estate and fiduciary taxes, foreclosures, residential real estate, civil litigation, corporate law, UCC practice, banking law, and legal research with the Law Offices of Austin M. Joyce in Auburn, MA. and the Law Office of Warren C. Lane, Jr. in Worcester, MA.
Austin is admitted to practice law in Massachusetts, The United States Supreme Court, The United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit and The United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
Austin is a 1976 graduate of Assumption College where he received his B.A. (magna cum laude) in Mathematics with a minor in English. While he was at Assumption College, he was awarded Dean’s List all four years, and was also honored in the Kappa Mu Epsilon Mathematics Honor Society. Austin continued his education at Suffolk University Law School in Boston, MA, achieving his Juris Doctor (cum laude) in 1979 and again being awarded dean’s list for all three years he attended along with the honor of law review.
Austin has served as a lecturer for the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association and as an instructor for the Chatham Police Department. In 2002, Austin was given the Award of Appreciation by the Western Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association.
Austin is an active member in the Massachusetts Bar Association and The Worcester County Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Massachusetts, 1979
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, 1992
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2002
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts, 1979
Honors: Cum Laude
Honors: Dean’s List
Law Review: Suffolk University Law Review, 1977 – 1979
- Assumption College, 1976
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
Honors: Dean’s List
Honors: Kappa Mu Epsilon Mathematics Honor Society
- Annual Survey of Rhode Island Law, 12 Suffolk University Law Review 608, 1978
- Tort Law – Duty of Care, 12 Suffolk University Law Review 1068, 1978
- Tort Law – Bystander Recovery, 12 Suffolk University Law Review 212, 1979
- The Chief’s Guide to Civil Liability, Chapter 1, The Federal Civil Rights Act, Contributor, Municipal Police Institute, 2006
- Instructor, Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee, Boston, MA, 2006
- Lecturer, Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, 2003 – Present
- Guest Lecturer, Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, Shrewsbury, MA, 1997
- Instructor, Chatham Police Department, 1996
- Civil Rights and Civil Liability for Police Officers in Massachusetts, Guest Speaker, Massachusetts Police Association Convention, West Springfield 1996, Hyannis 2000
Honors and Awards
- Award of Appreciation, Western Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association, 2002
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association
- Boy Scouts of America, Mohegan Council, Troop 201
- Mohegan Council of Spencer
- Brookfield/ Spencer Little League
Past Employment Positions
- Law Offices of Austin M. Joyce, Auburn, MA, Attorney, 1980 – 1983
- Law Offices of Warren C. Lane Jr., Worcester, MA, Attorney, 1979 – 1980