If you’ve ever been in an accident that wasn’t your fault, you’ve likely considered a personal injury lawsuit. Judging by all the attorney commercials out there, you might think it’s relatively easy to sue someone. However, there are several important factors, which can make or break a personal injury claim. Personal injury laws vary widely from state to state, and knowing the basics of Massachusetts laws will help you understand your case.

How Do I Know if I Have a Case?
Most personal injury cases rely on proving negligence to file (and win) your claim. This means that another party was, in essence, responsible for your accident. For example, if you were struck by a reckless driver, or slipped and fell on an unsanded sidewalk outside a store, your accident was likely due to another person’s negligence. Massachusetts law allows you to collect compensation, even if you were partially at fault for your accident. This is called comparative negligence. As long as you are not more than 50% at fault, you are eligible for compensation. The amount you receive is based on your percentage of fault.  So, if you were 10% at fault, you would collect the remaining 90% of the total damages amount.

How is the Total Compensation Amount Calculated?

You collect compensation by filing damage claims. There are several types of damages, divided into economic and non-economic categories. Economic damages are measurable by looking at concrete numbers (like lost wages medical and bills). Non-economic damages are less tangible and are estimated (like emotional distress, pain, scarring and loss of limb). Common damages in personal injury claims are as follows:

•    Medical bills;
•    Lost wages’
•    Property damage;
•    Pain and suffering; and
•    Loss of consortium or relationship.

An experienced personal injury attorney will obtain the most compensation for you by presenting the evidence in the best way to maximize the amount of your damages and to minimize your fault percentage. If you have a personal injury claim, we encourage you to call our office and schedule your free case evaluation.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Top
Contact Us
close slider

Do You have Questions?

We've Got Answers.