My husband was involved in an auto accident in the Worcester area.

Additional  Information:

We are being sued for more than we have on our insurance policy. I’m worried we will lose everything, our home and everything we have saved.  Can we protect our home and our assets in a personal injury lawsuit?


While it is obviously too late to increase the limits on your insurance policy to protect against this accident, it is not too late to increase them to protect against the next accident.  There may be other tools available to protect some or all of your assets.  The easiest and the cheapest to utilize is the homestead exemption on your principal residence under G.L. c. 188.  By recording a declaration of homestead in the appropriate registry of deeds you can receive the declared homestead exemption of up to $750,000, if the residence is owned jointly or as tenants by the entirety.  Other available tools are more costly and require that you consult with an attorney to plan for that protection and to draft any needed documents or instruments.  The number and kinds of other assets you own will dictate which tools, if any, are right for you.

The Worcester auto accident attorneys at RJA Law serve clients who have been injured in an accident throughout Worcester County and Central Mass including the communities of Shrewsbury, Marlborough, Northborough, Westborough, Leominster, Fitchburg, Clinton, Auburn, Oxford, Spencer, Boylston, Holden, Paxton, Ware, Worcester, Millbury, Grafton, Rutland, Sutton, Webster, Sterling, Lancaster, West Boylston, Leicester, Hudson, Charlton, Southbridge, Bolton, Barre, Hubbardston, Sturbridge, Brimfield, Princeton, Gardner, Milford, Uxbridge, Upton, Lunenberg, Ashburnham, Northbridge, Ashby, Harvard, Westminster, Winchendon, Dudley, and Brookfield.

Contact Us
close slider

Do You have Questions?

We've Got Answers.